Released Without a Cash Bond
A federal magistrate judge on Monday released Melissa L. Farris, 41, of Elizabethtown, Kentucky, after she was accused of deliberately defacing the World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C. According to court records reported by WJLA, U.S. Magistrate Judge Matthew J. Sharbaugh rejected the Justice Department’s request to keep Farris in custody as a flight risk. Instead, she was released on a personal-recognizance bond, which means no cash bond was required. Her release comes with conditions, including staying out of Washington except for court appearances, staying away from the memorial, surrendering any passport, and reporting to pretrial supervision. Farris is scheduled to return to court on September 3.
The Alleged Vandalism at a Sacred Memorial
Federal investigators say the incident happened on August 13, when Farris allegedly spray-painted “Clean Hands Dirty $” across the Atlantic Pavilion of the World War II Memorial. She is also accused of splattering the site with more paint and pouring a soapy substance into the fountain, which caused bubbles to spill through the memorial area. This is not just any public space. The memorial honors the 16 million Americans who served in World War II, including those who helped save the free world from tyranny. Cleanup and restoration costs had already exceeded $1,000, according to the report. For most Americans, that kind of conduct at a veterans’ memorial is not activism. It is vandalism dressed up like a press release.
She Allegedly Livestreamed the Whole Thing
Investigators cited Facebook videos in which Farris allegedly acknowledged what she was doing. In the videos, she said she was “cognitively aware” of her actions and claimed she was a “whistleblower” trying to force her case into court. She also said, “It was me. I’m doing it, I did it, it’s on camera,” while standing at the memorial. According to the report, Farris waited for police, complained when they did not immediately arrest her, threw a pink spray-paint can on the ground, and walked away. She had reportedly been arrested just three days earlier for illegally camping on federal property only blocks from the memorial, and a Park Police officer recognized her from that earlier arrest when images of the vandalism were circulated.
Serious Charges, Serious Possible Prison Time
Farris faces two felony charges: depredation against property of the United States and destruction of veterans’ memorials. Each charge carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison. U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro called the vandalism “a despicable attack on a sacred monument honoring the Americans who fought and died for our freedom.” That point matters. The World War II Memorial is not a random wall or a forgotten fountain. It is a place where families, veterans, and Americans of every background go to remember sacrifice. When prosecutors asked to keep Farris detained, they argued she was a flight risk. The judge disagreed and allowed her release under supervision and travel limits.
Claims Made in Her Videos
In videos leading up to the alleged attack, Farris called herself a “homeless freedom fighter” and made several disturbing, unverified claims. She claimed the federal government had wiretapped her, that people in golf carts were shooting at her house in Kentucky, and that she had fled for her life. She also demanded that the government fund her preferred programs as punishment for alleged multi-billion-dollar “malfeasance.” In another video posted before she surrendered to authorities, Farris apologized and said, “I know I made a lot of people mad, and I’m sorry. I was just trying to get help for myself.” She also said she has autism and ADHD, expressed fear about being hurt in custody, and said she planned to record as much of her surrender as possible. She later told viewers, “It’s me. I’m going to turn myself in,” and said she had been trying to get people to listen.
WE’D LOVE TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS! PLEASE COMMENT BELOW.
JIMMY
Find more articles like this at steadfastandloyal.com.

Leave a Comment